Our Life

The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family. ~Thomas Jefferson

Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Stubborn Refusal

Okay, I'll admit it--Halloween is not my favorite holiday of the year. Conceptually I think it's great--costumes, candy, spooky themes, parties, etc. I like the fun that inevitably revolves around this festive holiday. However, that being said, I personally despise the day for one simple reason--costumes. There's too much pressure to have a great costume. I remember growing up as a kid, my parents were never keen on going out to purchase a costume, so we mainly made due with what we had around the house. I was a deer hunter, an old lady, and a clown (that was used over and over and over again). I don't ever recall my mother sewing me a costume, and I certainly don't remember buying anything except maybe colored hair spray for the holiday. And frankly, growing up in the country, trick-or-treating wasn't really that fun because it was a five-stop car trip to the neighbors who would give out cans of pop and full size candy bars because there were very ghouls who would knock to cry out, "Trick or treat!"

But now that I'm a parent, I'm determined to make the best of this holiday with my kids. And although finding the costume still stresses me out a bit, I am enjoying the light-hearted nature of the day. This is Halloween #3 for Eli, and this year, he was supposed to be a tiger. A few weeks ago, while shopping at Old Navy, we walked past the Halloween costume section and immediately Eli picked out the tiger costume. I was sold. Not only did I feel prepared by having his costume this far in advance (because I already had Ainsley's ladybug costume, too), but the price was good and it seemed warm enough to keep him comfortable during the trick-or-treating in Minnesota fall weather. Perfect, right? Wrong!

For three days now, Eli has refused to put on his costume. Amy had a Halloween party at daycare on Friday, and he refused to wear his costume. Yesterday we attended a very festive party at the Hare household where, once again, Eli refused to put on his tiger outfit. And now finally today, when it was time to trick-or-treat and I said in my best nice-mommy voice, "Eli, wanna put on your tiger costume so we can go get candy?", Eli screamed and cried and refused.

Trick-or-treating only consisted of Ainsley and I going next door to visit our neighbors. I was hoping to get a picture of both kids in costume by the pumpkins, but this is all we came up with. And as disappointed as I am, it will be a funny story when Eli gets a little older.



This look just says it all...





What a cute little ladybug!

1 comment:

LJFEIER said...

Eli will definitely laugh one day! Hope you had a fun rest of the weekend... :)