One of the best parts of having Eli in my life has been to see my husband, Jay, as a father. I was so excited to celebrate Father's Day with Jay on Sunday for the first time. Becoming a parent is a scary adventure, but it's so much easier when you have someone to share the ride with you, especially when that someone is as great as Jay is. He's a wonderful father; he encourages Eli, takes care of his physical needs, and plays and smiles with him. I realize that having a boy means that Jay will play a particularly vital role in Eli's upbringing because Jay will be Eli's first and foremost example of what it means to be a good man, a good husband, and a good father. Luckily for Eli, he's got the best example around. This Father's Day we spent the day near Grand View Lodge in Nisswa, a place that has fond memories for Jay. Gull Lake is where his heart is, so I was glad we could be there on Father's Day, even if the weather wasn't the best.
On our way back to St. Cloud from Nisswa, we stopped at my parents' house for dinner to celebrate Father's Day with my mom and dad. My dad has been my role model my whole life, and I am so proud to call him Dad. This year's Father's Day celebration was particularly sweet because I not only see my dad as a father, but also as a grandfather to Eli. My dad loves little kids--he's the uncle all of the little kids gravitate toward, and so I know Eli is lucky to have such a wonderful man as a grandpa. My dad lights up when Eli's in the room, and I know that Eli will have lots of time riding John Deere tractors and 4-wheelers, fishing for sunnies, and helping in the garden with Grandpa. Happy Father's Day, Grandpa Charlie!
I also want to take a moment to recognize Jay's father, Dale. Even though he wasn't physically with us this Father's Day, he was certainly in our thoughts. I know that Grandpa Dale is looking down and watching over Eli from somewhere, serving as his guardian angel.
1 comment:
What a wonderful tribute to Jay and your dad, I totally teared up! So Tonja gave her number to you on my blog to give you her address. I'd tell you how to get there from school, but I have to drive to the school and then go to her house every time I go, how sad is that. Hope everyone has fun at lunch on Thursday, eat a seafood salad for me!
Post a Comment