Our Life

The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family. ~Thomas Jefferson

Friday, July 2, 2010

A Water-Filled Week


The theme for the week--water fun! I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but the weather this week has been absolutely gorgeous. It's weeks like these where I try to take a mental picture of what a glorious summer day looks and feels like so when it's the pit of winter, I know what I have to look forward to eventually. And in honor of these sunny days and warm temps, the kids and I have been park, pool and water-bound!

On Tuesday, we enjoyed (Jay even came, too) a leisurely picnic at Lake George. The playground at this park is perfect for Eli, so he is more than happy to spend hours running around, climbing and sliding. The Lake George playground is fast becoming his favorite spot in town to play.

On Wednesday we spent the afternoon at Rotary Park in our neighborhood, a lovely spot with a great wading pool. Eli's friend, Brody, met us there, and Eli was surprisingly brave about going in and out of the pool by himself. He practiced dipping into the water and seemed to just enjoy walking around in the refreshing water. After an hour and a half in the pool, we spent another hour and a half at the playground sliding and swinging. Let's just say that at the end of the afternoon, Eli took a colossal nap.

Thursday, my friend and co-worker, Heather Abrahamson, invited us to her house for a pool party. She just finished building this amazing pool in her backyard this spring, and she was generous enough to invite us over to share in the pool fun. Ainsley didn't get to swim that much, but Eli loved the water. The other bonus--Eli could see and play with his daycare gang once again. I swear Eli jumped in the pool about 1,000 times. I'm noticing this week that he is more bold and brave about play, particularly in new environments.

And today we ventured to Waite Park to check out the new splash pad and playground built near a large ball field. Once again, we met up with our friend Brody and his mom, Kim. These splash pads are seriously cool. It's literally 20 different types of sprinklers on a concrete slab. The kids run and jump through the water and have a great time doing it. This was Eli's first splash pad experience, and he seemed to enjoy it, although it took a while to warm up to the idea.

Whew! Busy! Luckily, my kids are pretty easy going and will go just about anywhere I drag them, and Ainsley is remarkably patient about just hanging out while we do activities that are geared more toward keeping Eli occupied. I have had an amazingly nice week. This summer has been so great so far, and I hope it only continues to be this good, if not better.

No comments: