Today was one of those days where nothing could go right. It was a day where I make my most frustrating mistakes, my list of things to do is endless, and I just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. It got so bad that by the time I got home, all I wanted to do was cry. Cry because I'm just so tired. Not the sleep-deprived kind of tired, but the "all I want to do is rest and relax without feeling guilty" kind of tired. I'm usually a pretty sunshiny kind of gal, so these feelings of despair are rare, but when they hit me, they hit hard. It's one of those times where my personality strength of feeling empathetic and caring so much about the world around me becomes my cryptonite, crippling my ability to see the glass as half full because I care too much. I have so much to do with my job, mothering two small children is no easy task, and I'm tiring of all the negative news about the teaching profession because frankly, I feel like all teachers are being lumped into a category entitled "I don't care if my students succeed or not."
When I got home, I unpacked the car and immediately bee-lined for the bedroom to find some quiet and solitude. I toppled on to the bed and I proceeded to just cry. Soon I hear the pitter patter of little Eli feet. He walks up to me, sees that I'm crying and asks, "Mommy, what makes you cry?"
I reply, "Mommy's sad."
Eli then tilts his head and says, "Why you sad, Mommy?"
"I'm just tired."
Eli then spreads his arms out as wide as possible and enthusiastically says, "Gimme a biiiiig hug!"
And then, for a moment, I smiled and felt better.
3 comments:
I am sorry you had such a crappy day but so proud of Eli at the same time.
Oh, how wonderful! Your little guy is showing empathy, compassion and clearly loves his momma! This is such a sweet story.
Hopefully you are taking care of YOU and finding a way to release some stress.
Thinking of you!
Aren't kids just the best? I, too, had a particularly sad day a couple of weeks ago. Owen said, "Mama sad." Then gave me a big hug and said, "Mama all better! Mama happy!" It's impossible not to smile when you get a hug from your baby. :)
Post a Comment