![]() |
| In case proof was needed that I biked 10 miles inside.... |
![]() |
| Selfie during the run! |
![]() |
| One of our triathletes was a wee tot. Proof that triathlons are for everyone! |
But I love it. I really do. All 6 laps, 10 biking miles, and the 2 miles of running. Okay, I maybe don't love the biking, but I like the feeling of accomplishment I get at the finish line.
I've considered myself an athlete my whole life, but for the two months or so prior to the triathlon, I push my body beyond what I normally do in an attempt to be in good shape for the big event. I consistently run 3 miles or so. I swim laps in the pool to prepare for those shoulder muscles to get a workout they don't normally get, and I bike. Ugh, the bike. That's the part I don't enjoy all that much, mostly because the April wind blows and makes biking feel like a never-ending journey. But in any case, my main motivation for all of this exercise is the triathlon. I want to be able to finish it and feel as though I did my best.
![]() |
| The amazing Ann Bemboom! |
![]() |
| And Jill Emery, triathlete extraordinaire! |
This year, the weather cooperated as much as it could with the winter/spring we've had. I swam my 6 laps pretty well, wimped out on the bike part and completed it on a stationary bike in the fitness center, and ran my two miles outside. And once again, at the finish line, I felt a great sense of accomplishment. Last year we ran in slushy piles of snow, so this year's grey sky, wind, and occasional sprinkle wasn't actually that bad.
Did I mention yet that I finished it? That's right. I did. And I'm proud.
Here are some random thoughts in reflecting back on today:
1. Every year, there's a muscle in my right calf that never wants to cooperate on the run. The first mile or so I not-so-much run as I quickly hobble. I wonder why the right calf? Do I have a stronger left calf? And if so, why and how?
2. Some jazz tunes are surprisingly good during a run. I listened to my music on shuffle mode during the run, and at one point "Billie's Bounce" came on and I found the beat to be right in cadence with my running strides. Strange.
3. And speaking of music on shuffle, on the back part of the running loop, suddenly there was a great wind shield of trees, and the world was quiet and calm. On my first lap, the song "Ave Maria" came on as I first entered this windless area. Weird. And cool. And a bit surreal. Definitely the most memorable part of the day for me.
I celebrated my "victory" today with Chinese food from The China Restaurant and a bottle of beer. Delicious. And well-deserved.
![]() |
| My celebratory dinner! Yum! |






No comments:
Post a Comment