Our Life

The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family. ~Thomas Jefferson

Monday, July 7, 2008

Lake Alex 2008


Every summer of my entire life, my family spent time on Lake Alex. Back in the day (and I mean since my birth), my father's whole family (he has 4 siblings) would rent a two-bedroom cabin from a small, family-run resort called Ray's Resort on the lake for one week in July. If you didn't sleep in the cabin, you slept in a tent, a camper, or in the case of my parents, in the back of your pick-up truck. But we loved the lake and we loved Ray and Rita, the couple who owned the resort. Eventually, though, Ray's closed for business and the lake as we knew it was over. Now, some of us still gather in the summer at the Shady Inn Resort, just a quarter of a mile down the road from Ray's. And even though the lake isn't the same as it once was, my family and I still LOVE the lake--it's like coming home.

This year was Eli's first time at the lake, and it was his first "swim" in a lake. He did remarkably well considering the water is less than warm. As you can see, all of the activity did wear him out, though.

The best part of the lake was that some of our Illinois crew made the journey north, and we were so happy to see them! We love you all! Thanks for traveling Judy, Chuck, Michele, Brian, Denise, Kyle, Alyssa, and Chrissy! Hope to see you again soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OKay, that life jacket looks a little big! Glad you had a great weekend at the lake. Sorry no posts about the bird, he is really teaching me that being a bird parent is harder than being a fish parent! Andy keeps pushing me to be move involved with him faster than I want to be, but that is actually good. I am hoping to have him talking before school, that is the goal. I hope he talks before Eli, that is the real goal! :) Hope you are well, so when are we going to "do lunch," I'm around all of the time pretty much!

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

I'm glad you had a great fourth of July and were able to introduce Eli to your family traditions!