Our Life

The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family. ~Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Stroll Down Memory Lane

Here's the thing about being a teacher--there's a lot of pressure to get things done during the summer time. We, too, get asked in the fall, "So, what did you do over summer?" And as much as I would like all of my days to be full of popsicles and running through the sprinkler, the reality is that I have a house that needs cleaning and a life that needs organizing. In my mind, I had a to-do list of items I wanted to complete before the end of August. These items included cleaning the windows and screens (which I have yet to do), sewing some curtains for the house, painting the entryway, and getting some of the kids' clothes in order.

Yesterday I took care of that last item--organizing the kids' clothes. It's amazing to me the overwhelming task this can be. I have to keep track of what the kids currently can fit in to, pack up the items that no longer fit in some logical way, and keep together and inventory the clothes I have for each of them that they will grow in to. And although I LOVE that we have a boy and a girl, my life would be a little easier in the clothing department if Ainsley would have been born a boy. To be frank, plastic storage containers and I are BFFs after yesterday.

However, as I was sorting through Eli's old clothes, I found myself stinking of nostalgia as I folded and packed away some of his jammies, sweatsuit sets and t-shirts. Some memories were so strong that I also started a "sentimental clothing" box, where I put away some of the more memorable pieces of clothing like their going home from the hospital outfits, outfits they have had portraits taken in, and just some of the cuter pieces we have owned.

Going through the clothes and thinking back to when Eli was just a little bitty baby once again makes me realize how quickly time flies when raising kids. Luckily for me, I still have one month of summer to gobble up as many memories as I can take.

2 comments:

Jo said...

I have heard of people making quilts out of the really sentimental pieces of baby clothes.

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

Enjoy this last month with your cutie patooties!
Great idea, Jo! :)