There are so many things I love about St. Ben's (and St. John's). It's where I learned to tap in to my gift for reading and writing. It's where I learned to be an adult. It's where I learned courage. It's where I found some of my dearest friends. It's where I finally got to see the world, even though I never left the U.S. It's where I learned the power of a good discussion.
My years at St. Ben's were not the typical "best years of your life" experience. True, I did meet some amazing people, including Skip Brenny and Allison Oldenburg, friendships I keep with me today. I excelled academically and LOVED the campuses. But the overall social picture, was a bit odd for me. I wouldn't say that college was the best four years of my life, but I will say I learned a lot those four years. And when I go back, it's like some fairy dust of magic sprinkles over me and I only remember the good--that feeling of a small, hometown community. I belong to a network of smart, strong, dedicated women who not only believe in the power of learning, but also in the power of giving.
That philosophy of stewardship is exactly why I wanted to commit to giving back to St. Ben's this year. Sure, St. Ben's usually calls me every so often asking for a monetary donation, which I usually have a hard time committing to since a phone call in September (just after buying school supplies) and a phone call in November (right around X-Mas shopping season) doesn't leave me feeling like there's a whole lot of cash left over to give. But I can give my time.
Last year I discovered the opportunity for alumni to help move in the first year students. What a gift! And I found the day so rewarding that I wanted to do it again.
It is truly a great morning. Families drive up, either excited, exhausted or nervous (or somewhere in between). And instead of worrying about how Dad's back is going to hold up carrying that futon up three flights of stairs, an army of women gather around, and before you know it, the stuff is moved and all the students and families need to worry about is checking in, getting a key, meeting the roomie and getting settled. It's truly amazing to see what a small group of people can move in four hours.
It's stewardship at its finest hour. Bennies helping Bennies. Welcoming them to their new home.
![]() |
| This is Emily, a new Bennie. She and I worked together during Wednesday faith formation at our church. She's an amazing girl! And I hope she loves her time at St. Ben's! |
![]() |
| Need I say more? |
![]() |
| We always get lunch at the end of moving--yum! And I get to meet families and talk to them about their morning. |
![]() |
| By the infamous Koi pond on campus. It's right by the Main building where I worked in Student Accounts all four years. |




No comments:
Post a Comment