Our Life

The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family. ~Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Reading Time


Of course, as the English teacher of the family, it's no wonder that I make a point to have reading time at least once a day. Many of our friends and family generously provided us with an array of books as shower gifts before Eli was born. I've also occasionally scoured the book section at the Goodwill to find a few more books to round out our collection at a reasonable price. For the most part, Eli likes the reading time. He looks intently at the pictures and tries to help turn the page. Mainly, though, he just pats at the pages to feel the texture of the paper or grabs at the corners of the book. Some of his favorite authors are Dr. Seuss, Eric Carle, and Sandra Boyton. He loves the book I Love You, Stinky Face, a book my friend, Beth Bastian, bought for us. Okay, okay, Eli doesn't really know the difference between books, so I can't really say that he loves the book, but I certainly do because there aren't many other times in my adult life where I get to say the phrase "stinky face". More than anything, reading time is a way for Eli and I to sit together and communicate (sometimes he "talks" to the books while I'm reading) and have some quality one-on-one time. I'm sure someday the roles will be reversed and he will be reading to me before he goes to bed; either way, it's one of the most fulfilling things I could do each day. Here's to great books and the adventures we learn from them!

1 comment:

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

Stomp your feet! Clap your hands! Everybody do the barnyard dance!
I LOVE reading/rapping-singing/dancing with this book to Anthony! It's such a fun book to go crazy with. Honestly I probably like it and go crazier than he does...
Just wait until Eli gets a bit old and really does pick out his favorite books. Reading time is always my favorite time of the day.
:)